Friday, September 14, 2012

How did I get here?


 Today was a crazy day. I thought I would be sitting in my dorm tonight, doing homework and Skyping people from back home, but instead I'm laying on the floor in a random family's house in Muncton, NB...... Info: HYM (harvest youth mission) is a traveling organization that does dramas and programs anywhere from street ministries to youth gatherings.
September 14, 2012

Today at lunch, I got asked to go on a weekend trip spur of the moment. Some of the HYM team was doing a ministry for the kids of families at a church convention in Muncton. I love the adventure of following Jesus. He knows I love adventure. It’s great because it forces us to rely on him when we have no idea what is going to come next. So I packed my bags in the 15 minutes I had left after class before we left, and jumped in the van, having no idea what to expect. We ended up in a hotel conference room doing dramas, skits, testimonies, and games for kids. It was crazy how different it was being in that environment after doing the Chicken Noodle Club. These kids were church kids. At first, I didn’t have a lot of motivation or energy to serve with these kids. I kept praying that God would give me some of His heart for them, because I didn’t have the capacity to serve them on my own. We had absolutely no clue how much time we had to put on this program for the kids. We expected maybe an hour or two. We had nothing planned except a couple of drama ideas. It was completely Spirit led. It ended up being four hours before the parents were done. But it was incredible how engaged the kids were the entire time. God worked through us. I got to connect and pray with some 6th grade girls. It was awesome because I missed my middle school small group girls from back home. Then after we were playing games for a while, I noticed a little girl lying under the chairs crying. I approached her and lay down next to her. I asked her what was wrong, and had a hard time getting it out of her. Finally she said that she missed her mom. So I told her about how hard it was for me to go far away from home when I went to college, and how sad it was for me leaving my mom and being so far away, since I won’t be able to go home until Christmas. But God helped me through it, because I wouldn’t have been able to do it alone. She really listened. Then I sat with her a while and asked her about life and what she liked, trying to keep her mind off of everything. She didn’t end up joining the games, but was happy watching them. Its so funny sometimes how we think that we what we’re doing isn’t significant. These kids hear the name of Jesus all the time when there are cities full of Children who have no idea what love is. But everyone needs Jesus. Everyone needs love. Love never gets old. Because God is love and He never gets old. Whenever we have the chance to show someone compassion and love them in the way Jesus would, regardless of their life circumstances, that is significant.

1 comment: