Monday, September 17, 2012

An unexpected God

I meant to post this last night, but our internet on campus shuts off at midnight. Here is my compassion journal for yesterday:


September 16, 2012

Today we finished up working with the HYM team doing the children’s ministry in Muncton. As awesome as it was to serve in that way, it was also super draining. I found myself worn out and irritable this afternoon. I started thinking about how it was possible for me to do ministry in the future if I am so easily drained. But then we got to go a service at Harvest House, and it was exactly what I needed. God was compassionate to me, and it made me excited again to be doing ministry. But then I looked over and saw Emily crying. A small group of us gathered around her. She was overcome by the pain of her past, wondering how God could ever use her despite all of her brokenness. I cried with her. But my compassion by comforting her is absolutely nothing compared to the comfort our Father gives. He showed both of us compassion today in a way we never would have expected.
 

1 comment:

  1. Serving God can be very draining. I'll second that. But it's most draining when we try to do it alone. When we forget that we are part of His ministry and thinking that He is part of our ministry we get the most drained. Everyone in the ministry needs to be fed by others and everyone needs someone to vent to because I promise you it will often be super-frustrating. But I also promise you it will be so worth it. I'll take a headache for a heartchange everyday.

    Keep it up kid. I'm excited to hear all about your ministry.

    ReplyDelete